10 October 2010

Week 4: Cliff jumping at Itiquira Falls

Jacob and I discovered that the swimming hole was at least eight feet deep. I swam out to the middle and went down until it was too cold to stay. Then he climbed up the wall and jumped in. Then I did. Then Joseph. And Sam wanted to try too, so I threw him in. I have never seen Sam swim so fast before, and he did quite well for his age group competing on the swim team this past summer. Between the current and the cold water, we all swam just a little faster.

Jacob and I also tried to swim up to the little water fall at the head of the pool. Jacob made it, but my older, out-of-shape for the kind of intense swimming couldn't make it there directly. I can now understand how people can get exercise in those current-based lap pools. It was fun trying to challenge myself against the current. After two or three attempts, I managed to approach the falls from the side, and then rush forward with the current downstream.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment