17 October 2010

Week 4: After the Parade

Following the parade, the Brazilian Air Force stunt flying team performed. Brazil is a major manufacturer of prop airplanes, and they supply military and commercial fleets around the world. The pilots who flew during this show were expcetionally good and the show was quite entertaining. I especially like the stall and free-fall stunts and the close flying formations.

Near us was an ice cream vendor, and he was having a promotion (sale) of only one "real" (Brazilian dollar) per container. That ice cream was the best and least expensive ice cream we have had so far in Brasilia. The flavors were strawberry, strawberry/chocolate, mango, pineapple and maracuja (passion fruit). It was totally worth seeing the parade just for the ice cream. By the way, ice cream sold in the supermarket runs for about R$13 to R$17 per liter, and it's tastes old. We also have a frozen yogurt stand near our home, but the price there is about R$7 for the size we got at the parade.

There were several types of vendors at the parade: agua de coco (coconut water), hats, cotton candy, pastels, popcorn, jewelry, and even the enterprising folks with coolers of water and beer.

There were no receptacles for garbage on the parade grounds. The entire area was covered with plastic bottles, political flyers, cans and other trash. Everyone just used their container and dropped it on the ground when done. Joseph, Emma and I couldn't stand to just leave our trash on the ground, so I picked up an empty plastic bag and hauled our trash to an overflowing receptacle near the cathedral.

We walked from the parade site to the US Embassy trying to find a taxi to take us home. We decided that it would be easier for us to explain to a taxi driver to get us at the embassy than try to describe where we were on the Planalto. I tried to wave a couple of taxis down while were walking, but was denied. It was a hot, dry and sunny day. I got very sunburned because I forgot sunscreen and let Sam wear my hat. Besides, walking a few blocks only added to the adventure, thrill and misery of the day.

At the embassy, I called for two cars. Soon after I called, a single taxi arrived. I thought I had been clear that we needed two cars. Then I looked inside and saw that the driver already had two passengers. He told us that he could take us home, then told his passengers to get out (I think they may have been family members). I feebly asked where the other car was, and then we loaded all eight of us and the stroller into a car that's about the size of a Toyota Corolla. On the way home, we passed the two taxis I had ordered. It was a very fast drive home, and I felt a little bad for not waiting for the other taxis, but I guess that's life for taxi drivers.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment