26 September 2010

Arrival in Brasilia


We finally arrived in Brasilia at about 5pm that afternoon, a little over a day later than we had originally anticipated. It was a beautiful late afternoon, and we were half-rested, wearing underwear that had been laundered in the bathroom sink, and happy to have finally arrived. Our sponsors welcomed us with embraces, and we were hustled onto our shuttles to our new home. By the way, Brasilia has a beautiful airport. Perhaps the greatest miracle is that through all the waiting, waiting, and more waiting, none of my children (or their parents) had a major breakdown.

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca & Co., So glad you are there safely. I've known for a few weeks, but glad to confirm it on your blog. All of you look remarkably well despite the long and tiring journey. I hope the children are adjusting well. Is Tom finding his position to be all that he anticipated?

    Love, Astrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. The job is going pretty well. I work with a small team, and there is a high demand for tourist visas in Brazil. The economy is strong here, so there is a growing middle-class with the desire to travel. In Brazil, the four consulates process about 3,000 to 4,000 visas per day. I spend most of my day interviewing about 120 people each day. I enjoy getting to meet so many people. I have also signed up to serve as one of the EEO counselors and finished training on discrimination and harassment regulations last week. This should be interesting work, too.

    ReplyDelete