27 March 2011

Week 32: A Meet and Greet with President Obama


Last weekend, President Obama and his family came to Brazil to meet with Brazil's President Dilma Rouseff and to speak at several business and cultural events. This is my favorite photo from the Meet and Greet with President Obama. I was trying to get a shot of my wife or one of my kids shaking hands with the President, but I couldn't see through the mass of people, so I raised the camera and clicked the button. 

I had originally been assigned as part of the baggage crew to handle the luggage of the First Family, but the plans changed for them to spend two nights in Rio de Janeiro, so I wasn't needed. I did get put in with another team to help with the CEO Luncheon at Itamaraty, the main building for the Ministry of Foreign Relations, but was told the night before the visit that I had not been cleared to go to Itamaraty since I was still on the airport list. One of things I learned from this visit was that plans are changing constantly.

Because I didn't have an assignment, I did get to go to the Meet and Greet that was held employees and their families from the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia. It was held at the same convention center as the final business meeting of the day. As we were waiting, we got news that the President was running behind schedule, and there was some worry that he may not have time to see us.



I was standing near the back of the crowd while my wife and the kids were near the front. Fortunately, the President did manage to stop in, though he was only able to stay long enough to offer some words of thanks and encouragement, shake several hands, sign a few books, and then he was rushed off to his next meeting.

We had been waiting for a little over three hours when the President arrived. I was amazed at how well-behaved the children were while waiting because there really was not that much to do other than hang out and talk to your friends and play video games on iPods and Nintendo DS. Due to security concerns, back packs full of the things one would normally bring to entertain children were not permitted. A few of the younger managed a brief game of chase in the lobby, and at least one parent brought markers and paper and set up a drawing area on the floor under the stairs.

Following Mr. Obama's remarks, he passed across the front the audience and reached out to shake as many hands as possible before leaving. My wife managed to get a good handshake. She deserved it. She waited for three hours in the same spot and made some new acquaintances from the embassy while doing so as well.  The kids were also placed in a good spot to see to President, so a couple of them also were able to shake his hand.



One of my favorite moments from the event was when President Obama saw a sign made by one of the kids, and he told her to pass the sign forward so that he could sign it.

No comments:

Post a Comment