27 March 2011

Week 31: A Perfect Flower



I first encountered this flower last December at the Bank of Brasil Cultural Center. We went to see and exhibit of prints by Escher, who is one of my favorite artists. While playing on some of the outdoor sculptures  that doubled as playground equipment, my youngest daughter pointed out some absolutely beautiful flowers. I didn't have my camera with me, so I didn't get a picture that day, but then I began noticing these trees in other parts of town. I am particularly impressed by the spiral symmetry, the five overlapping petals, and the airbrushed look. These flowers have the appearance of something someone might make out of sugar and put on a cake. At a garden and landscaping shop, these were called a type of "mangeira".

1 comment:

  1. We had two of those trees in the house I grew up in Rio -- I loved it! (And I may have attempted to climb it as a kid and broken a branch, falling straight down...)

    ReplyDelete