03 October 2010

Frog-skin Melon

Part of our adventure here in Brazil includes trying a range of fruits, vegetables and other foods that we have not tasted in the USA. During our first shopping trip to Sam's Club Brasilia, a store very similar in layout to the Sam's Clubs in the USA, but with completely differently products, I found this melon called Melao de Pele de Sapo--a Frog-skin Melon. It has a yellow-undertone with green streaks and wart-like bumps on the rind.

Inside the melon, the flesh is an off-white to a pale yellow with an aroma very similar to honey dew. The seeds are large and white. It was difficult to tell if it was ripe, but I used the same technique I use on cantaloupe that my brother taught me: press on the end that attached to the vine. If it's a bit "soft," it's ripe. I also smell the aroma of the melon. It should give off the odor of sweetness.

The melon was sweet and had the texture similar to a honey-dew. It's definitely worth trying again.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment