28 August 2011

Week 55: Dry Season Surprises


It's another beautiful and sunny day in Brasilia. We have now been without a rain shower since June when we a morning's worth after a volcano eruption in the Andes, and everything is very dry. What is surprising to me is how many flowers there are still blooming. There are many trees in bloom and well-adapted some plants are to the dryness. We do have a lake nearby, so the water table is not too deep so that might explain how so many plants thrive here.

While watering the garden, I found this spiky-leafed plant. When I got a closer look, I saw the spider in the flower. Absolutely beautiful.

Last night at a friend's home, I met my son's AP biology teacher. He and his family just moved here from a small town in Illinois. During our discussion about living in Brazil, I was reminded about how much I like life sciences when his wife said that the main reason they came to Brazil was to see new ecosystems. I then mentioned that my backyard was a great place to observe the wildlife of Brazil, especially ants.


Here's a good view of the back of our house and the backyard. It's dry, dry dry. I am looking forward to the rains, which should be here in about 30 to 40 days.

1 comment:

  1. The back view of your house looks almost like the back view of the house I lived in when I lived in Brasilia, 15 years ago. (Don't think it's the same house though, as ours was a military house, but we were on SHIS QL 12, I believe.) It was a wonderful house, and we were just a block to the lake path where we could ride our bikes!

    ReplyDelete